Sunday 13 December 2009

A Sussex University student just asked me a rather curious question:

'How did I get to the top of my game?'


Here's how the conversation went:

Student: 'Chris liked the article on you in Omni Magazine. But, how did you do it. I mean, get to the top of your profession?'

Me: 'Easy! I started at the top!'

Student: 'What!? That's rubbish. How can you start at the top. You have to work your way up.'

Me: 'That's the least of it. Because you to can start at the top of your field if you invent it.... If you do something original, and, of course by definition, there's nobody else doing it, and master the discipline of innovation, you start out at the top. The trick is to keep being original, keep innovating, be constantly different, but relevant to the time, and always keep a good eye on the future.'

Student: 'Oh. Oh I see... Your round of drinks then Chris!'

No comments: